Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Higher education abroad

Admission requirements for universities/university colleges can vary greatly from one country to another and from institution to institution. For example, you may have to take a language exam in some countries, but not in others. Also make sure that your previously obtained diplomas are recognised in your new host country. Before you leave, make sure you are well informed about the higher education of the country where you want to study.

Tuition fees and grants

Tuition fees can also vary greatly from one country to another. In some countries higher education is free, in others it is very expensive. Moreover, the conditions for study grants and scholarships also vary greatly. Find out more about the financial picture by contacting the national or local educational institutions involved for specific questions.

Working during your studies

If you study abroad, you may receive financial support from your parents, your partner or a scholarship, but you can also work abroad. Depending on the country you are going to, you could need a work permit, so check carefully what your administrative obligations are.

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate is a form of education that leads to an international diploma that, in principle, gives you access to higher education throughout the Western world. It offers thorough academic preparation. It was created in 1968 from the idea that it was interesting for children of cosmopolitan parents to always have a fixed kind of education in different schools throughout the world. It is aimed at educating students to become world citizens in a rapidly changing society in which a global approach and intercultural understanding are key.

Tip: Visit the internationalisation department of your Flemish educational institution. They can often help you with your plans abroad.

Tip: Make use of the VIW network. Who knows, there might be someone with practical experience to help you.

Tip: Do you have study plans abroad and still have questions about paperwork? Take a look at Kamiel, the administrative guide for people between 16 and 30 years old. Also have a look at GoStrange. Amongst other things, you can find out which organisations and institutions you can contact for volunteering, studies, an internship, a temporary job, a language course, a camp or an exchange abroad.