Overslaan en naar de inhoud gaan

Higher education abroad

You can study in any EU country under the same conditions as nationals of that country. However, admission requirements for universities/colleges can vary greatly from one country to another and from institution to institution. For example, you may have to take a language exam in some countries, but not in others. Also, make sure that your previously obtained diplomas are recognised in your new host country. Before you leave, make sure you are well informed about the higher education of the country where you want to study.

Tuition fees and grants

Tuition fees can also vary greatly from one country to another. In some countries higher education is free, in others it is very expensive. Moreover, the conditions for study grants and scholarships also vary greatly. To find out more about the financial situation, contact the national educational institutions for specific questions.

Working during your studies

If you study abroad, you may receive income from your parents, your partner or a scholarship, but you can also work abroad. You do not need a work permit for this. Please note: if you have lived in another country for more than 6 months, you are liable to pay tax there. In that case, you will have to pay taxes and social security contributions on your income.


Erasmus+ is the EU programme for education, training, youth and sports in Europe. It gives Europeans the opportunity to study, gain experience or volunteer abroad. Erasmus students do well on the labour market. It provides an opportunity to learn languages, build confidence and get to know another culture. As a master student you can also apply for the Erasmus Mundus programme. An Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) is a prestigious, integrated, international study programme offered by an international consortium of higher education institutions. The institutions involved also provide, after annual selection rounds, EU-funded scholarships for the best prospective students. The Erasmus+ programme runs until 2020.

Tip: Visit the internationalisation department of your Flemish educational institution. They can often advise you about opportunities abroad.

Tip: Do you have study plans abroad and do you still have questions about paperwork? Have a look at www.kamiel.info/, an online guide for people between 16 and 30 years old. Another interesting website is www.gostrange.be. Among other things, you can learn about organisations and institutions you can turn to for volunteering, studies, an internship, a temporary job, a language course, a camp or an exchange abroad.